Hello, Darcy and Alfie here with some thoughts about the holidays coming up.
First of all, if you are going to adopt a fur baby, consider saving an animal from a shelter near your home instead of spending hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars on a designer dog. Because, you know, we're all just dogs in the end. Big, small, fat, skinny - we are put here on earth to provide you with unconditional love and devotion. We're not showpieces... well, maybe some of us are.
HOLIDAY PLANT DANGER
Be mindful of these dangerous plants during the holidays. They may add a warm touch to the home but they can be painful, and even life threatening, to your pets:
Lilies - can be deadly to cats and even may cause them kidney failure
Poinsettias - can cause upset to your pet's digestive system
Mistletoe - especially the toxic berries - can be very upsetting to tummies and even can cause fatal heart problems
Holly - diarrhea, vomiting, nausea... none of which will add to your holiday cheer
Ivy - be careful, especially English ivy
Amaryllis - can cause vomiting, diarrhea
Hibiscus - diarrhea
Doesn't leave much does it?
And, by the way, vacuum up the needles that fall from the tree frequently. Those can cause stomach upset as well.
Speaking of the tree, put the glass ornaments at the top and secure the tree as best you can. Especially if you have a curious cat or two wandering around.
And candles. Good gravy what a cat can do with lit candles, or bowls of toxic fragrance, is amazing.
If you have a dog and cat combo, well you're pretty much doomed. I would suggest animal proof extension cords or, maybe move out of the house entirely. Just saying...
*** for more information visit American Humane Association